Cardiac Device Remote Monitoring Reading List
The following texts are listed by IBHRE as possible resources for exam preparation. The lists below are not exclusive as other texts may also prove useful for the purpose of exam preparation. By listing the texts below, IBHRE does not imply that all texts should be consulted in preparation for the exam. Familiarity with any or all of these texts does not guarantee successful completion of the exam.
Cardiac Device Remote Monitoring Core Reading List for the Physician and Allied Professional
- Clinical Cardiac Pacing, Defibrillation and Resynchronization Therapy, Ellenbogen, Wilkoff, Kay, Lau, Aurricchio 5th Edition
- Workbook of Diagnostics for Cardiac Implantable Devices, Hayes, Ryan, Malpuru, Olson, Webster, Cha, Heinrich, Meyer Hillestad
- Case Based Approach to Pacemakers, ICDs, and Cardiac Resynchronization, Vol 1 -3
- Questions for Exam Review and Clinical Practice, Friedman, Rott, Wokhlu, Asirvatham, Hayes
- Implantable Devices and Ambulatory ECG, Jonathan S. Steinberg, Niraj Varma, Varma Niraj, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2019
- 2015 Heart Rhythm Society Experts Consensus Statement on Remote Interrogation and Monitoring for CIEDs
This document is developed from the foundations established by the 2008 HRS Consensus Statement as well as the 2012 International Society for Holter and Noninvasive Electrocardiography and European Heart Rhythm Association’s Expert Consensus Statement on Remote Monitoring of CIEDs. The goals of follow-up, definition of hardware, and personnel remain the same and will not be covered in this document except where evolution of remote technologies and responsibilities has occurred. The current document provides new recommendations based on data published since 2008, endorsing the need to maintain consistent follow-up and outlining the limitations of strictly in-person methods.
- HRS/EHRA Expert Consensus on the Monitoring of Cardiovascular Implantable Electronic Devices (CIEDs)
This consensus statement describes techniques, indications, personnel, frequency and ethical considerations: developed in partnership with the Heart Rhythm Society (HRS) and the European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA); and in collaboration with the American College of Cardiology (ACC), the American Heart Association (AHA), the European Society of Cardiology (ESC), the Heart Failure Association of ESC (HFA), and the Heart Failure Society of America (HFSA). Endorsed by the Heart Rhythm Society, the European Heart Rhythm Association (a registered branch of the ESC), the American College of Cardiology, the American Heart Association.
Wilkoff BL, Auricchio A, Brugada J, Cowie M, Ellenbogen KA, Gillis AM, Hayes DL, Howlett JG, Kautzner J, Love CJ, Morgan JM, Priori SG, Reynolds DW, Schoenfeld MH, Vardas PE; Heart Rhythm Society (HRS); European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA); American College of Cardiology (ACC); American Heart Association (AHA); European Society of Cardiology (ESC); Heart Failure Association of ESC (HFA); Heart Failure Society of America (HFSA).Europace. 2008 Jun;10(6):707-25. doi: 10.1093/europace/eun122. Epub 2008 May 14.PMID: 18480075
- ISHNE/EHRA Expert Consensus on Remote Monitoring of Cardiovascular Implantable Electronic Devices (CIEDs).
Dubner S, Auricchio A, Steinberg JS, Vardas P, Stone P, Brugada J, Piotrowicz R, Hayes DL, Kirchhof P, Breithardt G, Zareba W, Schuger C, Aktas MK, Chudzik M, Mittal S, Varma N.Ann Noninvasive Electrocardiol. 2012 Jan;17(1):36-56. doi: 10.1111/j.1542-474X.2011.00484.x.
For additional readings on cardiac rhythm device therapy, visit https://ibhre.org/exam-resources/study-tips-reading-lists/cardiac-rhythm-device-reading-list