Allied Professional CEPS Exam Eligibility Policy
The purpose of this policy is to articulate and define the standard eligibility requirement held by the IBHRE in order to qualify for one of the above stated certification exams and the documentation required from candidates in order to prove eligibility.
Applicants for the Cardiac Electrophysiology Examination for the Allied Professional must demonstrate that they are involved in the practice of heart rhythm management and that they have:
- A minimum of two years of experience in the field of cardiac electrophysiology (with or without cardiac device therapy experience) through direct exposure to patient cases in the clinical or industry setting or exposure to technical cases in the industry setting.
- Successfully completed a formal comprehensive training program in cardiac pacing or electrophysiology that facilitates a minimum of six months didactic training and exposure to the field. Additionally, allied professional applicants for the Cardiac Electrophysiology Examination must have a minimum of six months of involvement in the field of electrophysiology with direct exposure to patient cases in the clinical or industry setting or exposure to technical cases in the industry setting.
- Successfully completed the Registered Cardiac Electrophysiology Specialist (RCES) examinations through Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI) , or an equivalent examination, and a minimum of 12 months of clinical experience in cardiac electrophysiology (including a component of cardiac device therapy experience or exposure).
Upon submitting an application for the exam, all candidates must provide appropriate documentation as evidence of the candidate’s eligibility:
- At least one letter of recommendation from an immediate supervisor, physician supervisor, or colleague from the candidate’s place of employment attesting to the candidate’s current position (letter must be printed on company letterhead). In addition, the same letter or another letter must confirm current or past involvement in the field of cardiac rhythm management (Cardiac Pacing, Electrophysiology, or Cardioversion Defibrillation), years of experience in the field (must total a minimum of two years), and the necessary exposure to patient cases (refer to IBHRE’s eligibility requirements)
- Certificate of completion or other documentation verifying successful completion of a formal comprehensive training program or certification (such as Registered Cardiac Electrophysiology Specialist) in electrophysiology or cardiac device therapy
- Training programs for allied professional applicants may include but are not limited to the following examples: Arrhythmia Technologies Institute, PrepMD, and Cardiac Electrophysiology Institute of Australia. Completing training programs does not guarantee successful completion of IBHRE's certification exams. For additional examples of acceptable training programs, contact IBHRE.
IBHRE reserves the right to independently verify the licenses, credentials and employment status of all examination candidates. The candidate’s signature on his or her examination application duly authorizes IBHRE to conduct such independent verification.